Science at the Cienega
- Your group should be at the Leonora Curtin Wetland Preserve promptly at 9:00am. The program will conclude at 11:30am.
- For our school programs, we request that you provide one adult for every ten students.
- Please divide your students into four groups. Name the groups: red, blue, green, yellow. If possible, please have the students wear name tags with group identification.
- As a safety issue, we ask adults not to bring toddlers when accompanying a group.
- Restroom facilities are limited to one portable in the parking lot area.
- Cell phone conversations interrupt the nature experience. We ask that cell phones and all electronic devices be turned off during the field experience.
What to Bring and Wear
- Wear long pants and closed shoes (no sandals). Trails go through some high grass and shrub areas.
- We will provide student field journals for recording observations and follow-up activities.
- Pack curiosity and good observational skills. Be ready to look and listen.
- (Summer months) Bring water and a hat. Sunscreen and bug repellent are also suggested.
Rules to Remember
- Always allow the Science at the Cienega docent to go first when on the trails.
- Stay on the trail in order to respect the fragile ecosystems in this special environment.
- Do not pick the plants or take anything from the Preserve without permission.
Download and print these reminders (PDF 186 kb) >
The Preserve is open free of charge May through October on Saturdays from 9am – 12 noon, and Sundays from 1-4pm. Please plan to return!
Questions and additional information: firstname.lastname@example.org