Magicians, spirits, an enchanted isle, and shipwrecks! Foiled murder plots, love at first sight, a royal wedding, and much more…
Join us for the inaugural Shakespeare in the Garden and the production of The Tempest , the play widely known as William Shakespeare’s farewell to the stage. Performances will be held on August 23, Opening Night, August 24 through August 27, and August 29 through August 31.
This resonant performance will be produced by Rachel Kelly of Shakespeare in Santa Fe and John Andrews of the Shakespeare Guild in partnership with The Santa Fe Botanical Gardens and directed by Nagle Jackson. Nagle is a renowned dramatic artist who has written several plays and staged scores of others. His work has graced such prestigious venues as the Kennedy Center, the Oregon Shakespeare Festival, and Princeton’s McCarter Theatre.
Prior to the performance, you’re invited to bring a picnic to enjoy amid the beauty of the Orchard Garden at the Santa Fe Botanical Garden, while the sounds of Mari Outten’s pre-show renaissance music fill the air. Gates will open for picnicking at 6:00 pm. Please note that no picnicking will take place on opening night since the opening night reception will be held at 6:00pm. Neither glass containers nor pets (except registered service dogs) are allowed in the Botanical Garden.
Unwind with the Cast
We also invite you to mingle with the actors at the “Unwind with the Cast” receptions (Friday, August 25th & Saturday, August 26th) that follow the performances. Wine, beer, sparkling water, and snacks will be served. Ticket holders for The Tempest can purchase “Unwind with the Cast” passes for that evening as a package. Persons attending the “Unwind with the Cast” and pre-performance reception must be 21 years of age.
We are delighted to announce that the cast of The Tempest draws from professional actors in New York as well as Santa Fe. The cast features Victor Talmadge as Prospero, Adam Miranda as Alonso, Hamilton Turner as Antonio, Alexander Schicoff as Sebastian, and Miranda Lichtman in the role of Miranda.
August 23, 2017
To kick off the 2017 Shakespeare in the Garden run of The Tempest, Santa Fe Botanical Garden will host a pre-performance reception with Rachel Kelly (Shakespeare in Santa Fe) and John Andrews (The Shakespeare Guild), at 6:00 pm. All tickets for opening night include the pre-performance reception.
Hors d’oeuvres and sparkling wine will be served. Persons attending the pre-performance opening night reception must be 21 years of age.
- SOLD OUT – Purchase Premium tickets – $85
- Purchase General Admission tickets – $75
The Tempest will be performed in the recently opened Ojos y Manos Garden amphitheater with Premium seating ($35.00) and General Admission seating ($25.00). Tickets are sold by section and requests for a specific seat are not available. Youth tickets (16 and under) are available for $10.
- See a map of the venue here.
- Section A Premium seats (at $35 for all non-opening night performances) are under the shade structure in the amphitheater and have the “straight on” views of the stage. The stone benches will have a padded seat with a back. Non-ADA accessible seating.
- Section B General Admission seats (at $25 for all non-opening night performances) are chairs on the ground level of the amphitheater in three rows that parallel the stage edge. Non-ADA accessible seating.
- Section C General Admission seats (at $25 for all non-opening night performances) are on the discovery trail at the top of the amphitheater. ADA accessible seating.
- For specific wheelchair and companion seating, please contact Rebecca Jensen at Rebecca@
santafebotanicalgarden.org or call 505.471.9103.
For questions, please contact Rebecca Jensen at email@example.com.
The performances will hold for rain. However, if inclement weather requires cancellation of the performance, there are no refunds. If cancellation of a performance is required, the box office will attempt to accommodate attendees at another Tempest performance of their choice but the Botanical Garden cannot guarantee that all requests can be fulfilled.
Q. What should I know before I go to a performance of The Tempest?
- Courtesies: Please remember to turn off all cell phones and other electronic devices prior to the performance.
- Photography: To ensure that our actors have the best circumstances in which to perform, no flash photography is permitted during The Tempest performance.
- Outdoor Theater Dress: Wear what makes you feel comfortable. August evenings can start off warm, but can become cooler after sunset.
- Late Arrival: Latecomers will be seated by the ushers at intermission. No seating is allowed while The Tempest actors are performing on stage.
Q. I use a wheelchair. What do I need to know about attending performances of The Tempest?
A. The Santa Fe Botanical Garden’s main pathways are ADA compliant and wheelchair access is available to The Tempest. Ushers will assist with directions and any accommodations. When purchasing your tickets, please call Rebecca Jensen at 505.471.9103 to reserve wheelchair and adjacent companion seating (i.e., in the same area) or request other assistance. Please note that wheelchairs are not provided at our venue.
Limited handicapped parking near the Visitors’ Center is available at the Santa Fe Botanical Garden on a first-come, first-served basis.
Q. Can I attend the “Unwind with the Cast” event if I don’t attend the performance of The Tempest?
A. No, you must have purchased a ticket to The Tempest performance to attend that evening’s “Unwind with the Cast.”