Visitor Information: Leonora Curtin Wetland Preserve
The Leonora Curtin Wetland Preserve is a 35-acre nature preserve located on the I-25 frontage road in La Cienega, adjacent to El Rancho de las Golondrinas. This rare natural cienega, or “marsh” in Spanish, hosts a bountiful diversity of plants and wildlife.
Hours & Location
May through October – Open Saturday & Sunday, 9am-3pm
November through April – CLOSED
Last entrance is admitted 30 minutes before closing time.
49A W Frontage Rd
Santa Fe, NM 87507
Individuals: Free admission. Suggested donation only.
Group rate (20 people +): $50
Fill out a group visit request online here.
Third Saturdays: Early Opening at 7:30 AM. $5 early entrance fee.
Group Special Access: Available for groups on Wednesdays during open season by reservation only. Please make a reservation at least one week in advance. Fill out a group visit request online here.
For a full list of upcoming events and guided tours at the Preserve, click here.
First & Third Saturdays: Guided nature walks are offered at 10 a.m. No reservations are necessary for these free walks.
Fourth Saturdays: 8:00 AM Bird Walk with Rocky Tucker
Policies & Helpful Information
- The Leonora Curtin Wetland Preserve is fully staffed by trained volunteer docents. Docents are adults of all ages, walks of life, and educational backgrounds. There are currently 70 trained docents volunteering twice per month or more at the Preserve.
- There are no restrooms with flushing toilets at the Preserve. Portable toilets are available for use in the parking lot.
- Please stay on designated pathways. The plants in our ecosystem can be very fragile, and do not respond well to footprints.
- No pets allowed in the Preserve except registered service animals. Please be prepared to show proof of registration upon arrival.
- No smoking, vaping, or use of other tobacco products is allowed in the Preserve.
- The majority of the pathways in the Preserve are wheel chair accessible, however some pathways may be rough.
- For your comfort, we suggest that you bring a hat and screen to protect your skin during your visit to the Preserve.
- We encourage you to bring a water bottle to the Preserve. Potable water is not available to fill your water bottle.
- SFBG welcomes artists who wish to sketch, paint, or photograph our grounds. Due to the fragile nature of our plants, only water-soluble paints are allowed on grounds (no oil-based or acrylic paints). Photographs and videos shot must be for private, non-commercial use, except in specific exhibits or areas where photography may not be permitted. Read the full photography policy.
- In the event of inclement weather, the Preserve will close to the public. Weather closures are posted on our homepage and on our Facebook page. If caught in a storm, please take shelter in the Welcome Pavilion or your car.
Youth Conservation Core Member at Leonora Curtin Wetland Preserve. Photo by Nina Katz.